Monday, February 18, 2013

Miracle

Hello lovely readers,
Something has been on my mind lately. I have been meaning to share it with you all. Something so miraculous that God has done. It all came back to me yesterday in church service. This post will quite possibly be very long,but the story I have to tell will surely touch your hearts.
 
 It's been,oh, probably about 4 or 5 months back, a dear lady in our church, Shirley Hicks, went to the hospital for a procedure. When the doctor checked her situation,he found fluid on her lungs. She was put in ICU. I cannot remember all the details that went on during her hospital visit, but I do know that she was in and out of consciousness the whole time. She was in the hospital for over a hundred days. There were several close calls where she just about left us. Her husband was there for her through it all. They are a very tight couple. Impossible to separate. Our pastor would call him every morning just to check up on her situation. Not to mention all the countless visits to see her. I don't think she would remember half the people that came to see her because of her subconsciousness. Our whole church family was praying and praying that she would get better. We had a special prayer meeting just for her one night. Even first-time visitors went to the altar after they heard her situation,praying for her.
 
The Hicks always sat beside me and my family on our pew at church. Mr. Hicks always gave us gum or Mentos. Mrs. Shirley was always ready with a hug. She sang in the choir as much as she was able and always came to the prayer room. So hearing that this special lady was close to deaths door was heart wrenching to me. She was in the hospital so long and I just heard constant bad reports. Every time the phone rang I expected to hear the bad news. Don't get me wrong. I knew God could heal her if He so chose. I guess I was afraid that He wanted her to come home. Maybe it's selfish,but I wanted her here. I asked God that if it was His will to please let her stay with us.
 
After a very long period( about four months all spent in the ICU) the doctors said she was in the clear. After awhile of recovery and rehab, she was able to come home. She came back to church. She gave testimony the night she came back to church. Mr. Hicks pushed her in her wheelchair to the front of the sanctuary.  She thanked us for our prayers and visits and then she told us her story. What had been going on that we couldn't see. Things that she saw and heard in her unconsciousness. She said she saw a beautiful room in a beautiful land. She saw a person shining. She knew it was Jesus. I can't describe it to you like she can. Mrs. Shirley had caught sight of Heaven. She was so close. She said she knew that God was not through with her. That is why He kept her here. Mrs. Shirley actually did die. I don't know how that works,but she did. God saw more work for her here and wasn't ready for her yet. She said that as Mr. Hicks rolled her through the waiting room of the hospital,through all the family members of other critical patients, she knew she had something to say. She looked at them and told them what she had been through. She said that if God could bring her out then He could bring their loved ones out too.
 
She has been OK for awhile now. She has still been in a wheel chair and on oxygen,but she is still smiling. Here recently she has been put back in ICU with the same thing. Fluid on her lungs. She told me just a week or so before that if she had to go through it again, she wanted God to take her on home. Please pray for her. I want her to keep smiling and have peace. I want her to pull through. I hate that she is back in ICU. But God is in control and I know He is watching over her. The Hicks have been like grandparents to all the young people at church. They are loved by all. Please pray.
 
Her story is a miracle. The doctors could not explain how she was able to go out of that hospital alive. It was all God. The Hicks have been at church as much as they could. It would be so easy for them to say,"It's too hard," but she keeps on doing everything she can to serve God. I think of how pitiful my excuses seem. I am healthy and strong. Yet sometimes I get the least little problem and I find it so easy to complain about how bad I have it. I am so ashamed sometimes when I have petty, little problems and start to whine, when there are millions of people having to deal with things I can only imagine. One of my goals as a Christian is to keep my attitude in check and not complain so easy. I have been SO BLESSED. God has been so good to me. I am so thankful for everything He has done.
 
Please keep the Hicks in your prayers!
The Hicks-Homecoming 2012   ( Picture Credit to Tickle Photography)
-Emily

1 comment:

David and Christine Keller said...

How sad, wonderful, and inspiring all at the same time!
Thank you for sharing!
We will be praying that the Lord will have his hand over all of this!
Have a blessed evening!
~Hannah, Ruth, and Sarah Keller~