Friday, September 6, 2013

Photo Assignment:Off Center

This is a picture I took to submit for school. The assignment was to take pictures from different angles(mainly off-centered.) I was submitting it to be critiqued. I knew this,but I'm afraid I don't like criticism too much:/ The feedback I got, referred to the fact that I cut off the edge of the lense, and also that the green leaves were a bit distracting. At first I was a little ticked off. I worked hard trying to capture this photo! The more I started studying it though, I began to realize that criticism is constructive. I SHOULD have kept the whole lense in the photograph. I could have also put the picture in black and white to keep the leaves from being distracting(but I still kinda like the leaves sticking through.) I guess you can learn a lot from some well-directed criticism! SO! I am going to ask you all to give me your opinions on this picture! I think it will help me:)
Thanks so much for your help!
-Emily

4 comments:

Kalin said...

Personally, I like that the lense is somewhat cropped, it gives it a distinction, however it would look fine with it uncropped. The leaves are distracting, I found myself looking at them instead of the camera which was obviously the focus point. I'd either blur the leaves more or do a black and white or sepia version. I think the photo could be brighter and more colorful.

Red Mcgail said...

personally i also like the lense being cropped a bit, but i agree about the leaves being a bit distracting, i understand why you might think they could add to the picture but it took away from the main focus which was the camera. i think if you turned it black and white and really upped the contrast to make the background wash out it could be cool. but i really liked the picture over all, i havent been following your blog for very long but ive really seen you improve in your photography over the passed couple months:)

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I like the shot a lot! :) The leaves I think add interest.

And the lens being cropped I think is a style thing. My boss (who has been doing photography for a long time!) wouldn't like it, he has always been kind of traditional, and strait forward. But his son and I both would think cropping it off would be cool and Artistic. However Most people don't like it and it is a general rule to have the whole of the focal point in the shot.

That is when you do one with it all and one cropped off.

Anyways! I like it! and probably would have shot it the same way! :D

*Lizzie* said...

I think it is a very nice. I personally like the leaves because it gives it a touch of color. And it makes it more unique and interesting.
Wow, I didn't think cropping a bit of the subject's corner out of the picture would be counted as a fault! I personally think the look of it being cropped slightly gives it a cool perspective.

You did a great job :) I like it :)